Tips For Selecting An Above-Ground Pool Heater
Pools are of two common types. One is an above-ground type, and the other ones are built and designed inside the ground. Both have a completely different set of management and require different pool heaters to keep the pool season going for a long time. Apart from this, your swim temperature also matters. So there are various criteria based on which you can select a particular pool heater, but few tips are standard. These are listed below:
- Most of the above-ground pool heaters have a low BTU than in-ground pool heaters. The energy requirement is lower because there is not much water to heat.
- For above-ground pools, you need a pool heater that is compact so that you can install it in almost any location.
- Three common brands are there, namely Hayward, Pentair, and Raypak. The Hayward H100ID and Pentair Minimax come with 100,000 BTUs, while the Raypak comes with 130,000 BTUs.
- The typical in-ground heaters come to have a BTU rating between 150,000 BTUs to 400,000 BTUs. This rating is twice the rating for above-ground pool heaters. Higher the BTU rating will be less the time required for heating the pool water.
- Most of these pool heaters run on gas either propane or natural gas. To find out the estimated cost of using these pool heaters, you need to contact your local gas supplier for gas rates in your area.
- If you are living in warmer climates, then you should prefer heat pumps over pool heaters. Heat pumps use outside air and refrigerate it into the water for your pool or spa. They have a higher price tag than pool heaters, but the high price is valued by their low energy consumption and less operating cost.
- Moreover, other options like Solar Blankets are also available, which act as cover for your pool and do not allow calm winds to lower your pool water temperature. Clear pool blankets are typical because they transmit for Sun’s heat to your pool water and keep it warm in the daytime.
- To reduce operating costs on heating devices, one should set up above-ground pools with more sunlight available. It will keep the pool water warm with the help of the natural Sun’s heat.
- Another cost-efficient method is the use of Solar Power based pool heaters. They need a pump for lifting the water above the ground if you have installed a solar panel on the roof.
- The method is simple, which includes water moves up to where the solar panel is installed, and it contacts the heated board and gets heated. Many customers think it is a cost-efficient method, and the bonus point is that the material used during installation is corrosion-free.